Disclaimer: I received Knuckle Lights Colors to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
During periods of low light or darkness, it’s important to be safe and be seen when running or walking outside. You want to make yourself as visible as possible to vehicles and other pedestrians. Safety tips for cyclists vary, so in this post I will focus on saftety tips for pedestrians.
“Chances of being struck and killed as a pedestrian increase 1100% after dark.” – National Safety Council
Running and Walking Safety Tips
- Wear clothing and gear with reflective details.
- Add additional reflective elements, including a headlamp, blinking taillights, a safety vest, and Knuckle Lights. Keep reading for my review.
- Walk or run with a friend.
- Carry ID and medical insurance information with you.
- Don’t wear regular headphones or ear buds in both ears, or use AfterShokz Trekz bone conduction headphones
- Stay alert. Be on the lookout for vehicles, people and wildlife that could pose potential threats.
Knuckle Lights Colors Review
With a focus on safety, I was excited when BibRave reached out with an opportunity to test the Knuckle Lights Colors. These small, handheld units slip over your knuckles and provide a wide beam of steady, even light.
- 2 lights per set – The units attach together magnetically.
- Adjustable – The soft silicone straps can be adjusted to fit any size hand and even over gloves.
- 120 total lumens – The super bright lights provide a wide flood beam, providing a steady, even light in front of you that does not bounce around, even with your arms moving.
- Batteries included – Each Unit Operates on 1 X AA Battery.
- Waterproof and sweat proof – Can be used in any type of weather and through sweat sessions. They will operate in below freezing temperatures down to -20°C / -4° F.
- Lightweight – Less than 3 ounces each.
- 3 power settings – High, low and blinking.
- Price point – $39.99 and free standard shipping for US orders.
- Color options – Black, pink and blue.
I tested the Knuckle Lights during evening runs and walks with Gracie. I wore the set during runs and only carried one when walking with my pup. They are extremely lightweight and I didn’t find them cumbersome. I appreciate the different power settings so I can adjust between high beam, low beam, and blinking. When I see a car approaching, I quickly push the button on top of the Knuckle Lights to switch the setting to blinking so we are obvious to vehicles.
The bottom line:
The Knuckle Lights are a great addition to your personal safety gear collection. I was worried the light might bounce around as my hands move during a run, but the stream of light is steady. I’ll continue to use them when I’m outside during hours of no or low light. I could even see them being useful during early morning transition set up for triathlons. I’ve stumbled my way through a few dark check-ins, and having the Knuckle Lights would help me better see during transition set up.
Want to try a pair for yourself? Use code “BRKL2017” to save 15% off at www.knucklelights.com now through 9/1/17!