Disclaimer: I received a pair of AfterShokz Trekz Air to review as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!
After reviewing a pair of the AfterShokz Trekz Titanium, I was given the opportunity to test the Trekz Air – the newest generation of wireless, bone conduction headphones from AfterShokz. I was truly curious how they stacked up against the Trekz Titanium and I put them to the test over several weeks.
- Bone conduction technology delivers music through your cheekbones, ensuring ears remain completely open to hear ambient sounds
- A 20% lighter build than its counterpart
- A new organic design delivers increased comfort
- Complete wraparound titanium design provides a flexible fit for unnoticeable all-day comfort and stability
- OpenFit™ design ensures maximum situational awareness and comfort during long-term wear
- PremiumPitch+™ guarantees a premium audio experience, including wide dynamic range and rich bass
- Bluetooth® v4.2 connectivity and convenient multipoint pairing
- LeakSlayer™ technology significantly reduces natural sound leakage
- IP55 certified to repel sweat, dust and moisture, from workouts to wicked weather
- Enjoy six hours of continuous music + calls on a single charge
- EQ presets boost bass and reduce vibration on the go
- Dual noise canceling microphones exclude surrounding noise, effectively enhancing speech
- Audrey Says™ voice prompts guide users through power, pair, play and talk
- Hassle-free 2-year warranty
- Price is $149.95
I am fortunate to have a pair of the Trekz Titanium and Trekz Air and can provide a true comparison between the two models.
|Speaker type: bone conduction transducers||Speaker type: bone conduction transducers
|Frequency response: 20Hz~20KHz||Frequency response: 20Hz~20KHz
|Sensitivity: 100 ± 3dB||Sensitivity: 100 ± 3dB
|Microphone: -40dB ± 3dB||Microphone: -40dB ± 3dB
|Bluetooth version: v4.1||Bluetooth version: v4.2
|Compatible profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP||Compatible profiles: A2DP, AVRCP, HSP, HFP
|Wireless range: 33 ft (10m)||Wireless range: 33 ft (10m)
|Battery: rechargeable lithium ion||Battery: rechargeable lithium ion
|Continuous play: 6 hours||Continuous play: 6 hours
|Standby time: 10 days||Standby time: 20 days
|Charge in: 1.5 hours||Charge in: 2 hours
|Weight: 1.27 oz (36g)
|Weight: 1.06 oz (30g)|
I maintain my preference for wireless, bone conduction headphones while I am outside. I used the Trekz Air while taking long walks with Gracie, training runs, and racing Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas half marathon and the FishHawk Turkey Trot 10k. They held up and stayed in place through humidity, sweaty workouts, and rain.
Safety and Sound
The safety benefits and sound quality are on par with the Trekz Titanium. I feel so much more aware of my surroundings when I can hear the world around me, yet I am still able to listen to podcasts, music and phone calls. I found the sound quality of podcasts and music to be similar with the Titanium Trekz, but I found the connectivity of quality of phone calls to be better with the Trekz Air.
Fit and Comfort
The biggest difference between the Titanium Trekz and Trekz Air are the fit and comfort. The 20% decrease in weight and the smaller profile of the headphones makes a big difference. I can wear the Trekz Air during my longest runs, and they stay comfortably in place for hours. Unlike the Trekz Titanium with two size options, the Trekz Air only come in one size but are so low profile, they should fit comfortably for most. Fellow BibRave Pro Fallon also found the Trekz Air to be lightweight and comfortable.
The Bottom Line:
I wear the Trekz Air daily and they are my favorite headphones! I frequently keep them on after I’ve returned home from a walk or workout because they are so lightweight and barely noticeable. I’m a complete convert to the open ear technology that lets me hear both my surroundings and the music, podcast, or phone call in the headphones.
Want to try a pair for yourself? Use code TRUCKER to get a free BibRave trucker hat when you order at http://bibrave.aftershokz.com!